Many developers are turning to android these days and some of them have some issues during the installation process ,So today i'm going to explain how to install android SDK on windows to start programming on the android platform and tell you the solutions to the most critical problems that faces new developers during installation.
First you need to download the following :
After downloading the above install the JDK by clicking on it it's an (.exe) file it will install itself.
Then we come to the Android SDK which is and (.exe) file too. The Downloaded SDK isn't the complete SDK environment ,It includes only the core SDK tools that enables us to download the rest of SDK.
Now run the SDK (.exe) that starts the installer ,The installer first checks some requirements to be available like the latest JDK and here some may have some issues that the SDK can't find the JDK though you just installed it ,..here is the solution (If you didn't face this problem move to the next step)
JDK not found problem solution
- First try the easy way click back then click Next again (sometimes this solves the problem)
- If the back didn't work we do the following :
- Close the SDK installer (we will come back to it later).
Now as the SDK installation is running don’t forget to take a note of where the system saves it as you will need to refer to it later when setting up the ADT plug-in for eclipse. At the end of installation the installer offers you to open the SDK ,Don’t open it as we didn’t get the IDE ready yet.
- Open desktop and right click on my computer >> Properties >> Advanced system settings (from the upper left).
- A window will open choose Environment Variables from the lower right.
- Another window will open click New
- Enter variable name as JAVA_HOME
- Set variable home to the JDK folder that you will find in C >> Program files >> Java >>JDK copy the folder path and paste it to the variable home then click ok.
Now to the next step now we have the JDK and the SDK installed go to Program files >> Android >> right click on SDK manager and choose properties >> Compatibility tab >>and make it run as administrator.
Then extract the eclipse (.zip) that you downloaded, And cut the extracted folder named eclipse to the C >> Program files(X86) and open the folder and create shortcut of the (.exe) file of eclipse and put it where ever you like to.
Now to the next step to install the eclipse plug-in open the eclipse shortcut then:
URL not found Problem solution
- Download the ADT as follow ,Open Help >> Install new software
- Then click add and type this paste this URL :
- Name it ADT Plugin and click ok sometimes an issue occurs here that it can't reach the url (if this problem didn't show up move on to the next step)
- First try to remove the 's' from the url and make it http and try again
- If the previous try didn't work and you still can't download the update from a remote site download the ADT.zip file from here (don't unpack it)
- Then open the Help >> Install new software and click add then click on the Archive and navigate to where you had the ADT.zip file. this should solve the problem.
Then 2 packages will show up select them and before clicking next check the check box on the lower left contact all update sites during install to find required software and then click next and select all and then accept the license agreement and let it to complete the download.After the download finishes the Eclipse will ask for reboot .
Then to the next step to add the platforms and install the packages:
- Open the android SDK but not from the inside of eclipse instead go to C >> Program Files >> android >> SDK manager.
- SDK manager keeps tools in separate packages check the Tools Folder and the API version you target to develop on it (you can choose more than one).
- From Extras check Android support library.
Then Click install packages and let it download.
Now you have the android SDK installed and now if you clicked the Window Tab you will find a new items listed :
- SDK manager
- AVD manager
Now you can start developing your own android apps and if you faced another problem not mentioned in here don't hesitate to make a comment with a question.
And don't forget to follow my blog to keep up-to date, Salam Aliykom.